The Best Infant Car Seats Of 2021-2022 Reviews
Best Safest Infant Car Seats 2021-If you’re looking to buy the Best and Safest Infant Car Seats then you’ve come to the right place. I’ve written a complete Best Infant Car Seats of 2021 review guide to make it easy for you to choose the best car seats for your budget and needs. So without delay, checkout our best selling top 10 Best Infant Car Seats of 2021 list and find out which is the best suit for you.Next:Best Infant Car Seats of 2021..
At a Glance:
- Best Infant Car Seat Under 200
- Best Infant Car Seat Overall
- Best Infant Car Seat In Budget
- Best Infant Car Seat Buyers Guide
- Best Infant Car Seat Trending Now
Check Also:10 Best Convertible Car Seats 2021
Top 10 Best Infant Car Seats Reviews 2021
1.Best Overall:Chicco Keyfit Infant Car Seat 2021
Proper installation is the Key to making your baby’s world safer. The Chicco Key Fit 30 Infant Car Seat is the premier infant carrier for safety, comfort, and convenience. With its removable newborn insert, the Key Fit 30 Car Seat will accommodate your baby from four to thirty pound. The Key Fit 30’s thickly cushioned seat includes a five-point safety harness and is lined with energy-absorbing foam for increased safety and comfort. The Key Fit 30 Base’s Recline Sure spring-loaded leveling foot, Ride Right 2 Easy-to-see bubble level indicators, and Super Cinch One-Pull LATCH tightener guarantee quick and correct installment from either side of your vehicle and give you confidence that your child is safely secured in your vehicle.Machine wash fabrics separately in cold water on delicate cycle. Do not use bleach; drip dry. Plastics and hardware may be sponge cleaned using warm water and mild soap; towel dry. To clean harness, sponge clean using warm water and mild soap; air dry. Do not machine wash harness.
Best infant car seat we’ve ever owned. We have 3 children now and had a britax and our baby would just scream and cry. We got this seat and she is so content and happy! We made a 12 hr road trip when she was just 3 weeks old and she was amazing! Slept so good and fit so snug in the seat without being quished like the britax. I highly recommend this seat!Best Car Seat Review..
- The easiest infant car seat to install
- No.1 rated infant car seat in America
- 5-point harness adjusts with one hand
- Full body inserts for newborns 4-11 pound to protect smaller babies
- Spring-assisted level foot, bubble levels, and ”Center-Pull” adjustment for easiest installation
Best Infant Car Seats Under 200
Evenflo continues to redefine industry standards with the rollover tested SafeMax Infant Car Seat. The SafeMax Infant Car Seat offers a SafeZone Base that is designed with an anti-rebound bar to absorb and dissipate crash forces. The SafeMax Infant Car Seat allows your family to travel with peace of mind and provides extended safety in addition to a lightweight design that makes it easy for you to carry. The seat accommodates children ranging from 4-35 pounds.
This carseat is the real McCoy. I’ve purchased a lot of items on amazon, but this out of all purchases has been the best purchased by far. My niece and her husband and their son whose 3 weeks were in a severe accident the vehicle was total. They suffered bruises but their son was untouched. The carseat protected him while the vehicle flipped over. I’m glad I bought this it was a gift from me to them for a baby shower not realizing it saved his life.Best Car Seat Review..
- This Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat fitting newborns and babies from 4-35 pounds includes a stay-in-car convenience SafeZone Base made up of a combination of premium materials designed to absorb and dissipate crash forces through an anti-rebound bar
- The SafeMax Infant Car Seat is the FIRST rollover-tested car seat offering extended safety combined with a lightweight design that makes it easy for you to carry or travel with
- The SafeMax is equipped with Sure Safe Latch guides that make proper installation easy in cars equipped with lower latch anchors securing your child in seconds
- This Infant Car Seat is equipped with a temperature regulating fabric that keeps baby comfortable during hot or cold weather, which provides a safer, more peaceful ride for you and your infant
- The extremely lightweight design equipped with a padded, ergonomic handle is uniquely crafted to make carrying your infant or newborn as comfortable as possible
Best Infant Car Seats Under 300
The Primo Viaggio 4-35 Infant Car Seat with Base weighs 9.5 pounds, allowing easy portability from car to stroller. The patented handle design is short and compact, which makes it easier to move in and out of vehicle. Seat and handlebar have color coded belt paths to help in belt routing if base is not in use. The Primo Viaggio 4-35 can attach directly to any Peg Perego stroller (except for the Pliko Mini and Skate), without the need for adapters.
The Primo Viaggio 4-35 is travel system compatible with all Peg Perego strollers (except for the Pliko Mini and Skate) and does not require the use of adapters. Simply line the car seat up with the chassis and press down to engage. Adapters for select manufacturer strollers are also available for the Primo Viaggio 4-35.
Primo viaggio 4/35 rear facing infant car seat takes the Peg Perego experience in child restraint systems to a new and improved level of safety and design. This car seat will accommodate a baby from 4 to 35 pounds and up to 32″ tall. The adjustable side impact protection is easy to adjust to six vertical positions with no re-threading required, to always protect babies head and shoulders at any growth stage. Energy absorbing EPS lined shell enhances protection and is perforated to guarantee maximum air circulation. Dual stage cushion system includes two cushions. First stage cushion for newborns for 4 pounds and up offers extra support on baby’s neck and bottom. Second stage cushion correctly supports your growing baby. Both cushions help in keeping babies head properly positioned and are made of our fresco Jersey soft and breathable fabric to ensure an all season comfort. Well fitted upholstery features the best of Italian textile and tailoring tradition. The primo viaggio offers a 5 point harness and comes with a large adjustable hood that protects baby from the elements. It is travel system compatible and attaches easily to any Peg Perego stroller without adapters. It can be used without the included base for your convenience when traveling in taxis or airplanes. Additional base sold separately. Made in Italy.
This car seat saved my 3 month old daughters life. We were in a major accident where my brand new Passat was totalled. My car went 1500 feet down an embankment on the highway and she was totally fine. I found out the hard way the the side impact protection works wonders. She was smiling and playing by the time they got us out the car. I have since been shopping around trying to get the same features on another car seat and it can’t be matched. Most car seat have not protection around the head area but this one does. The typical car seat has SIP (side impact protection) on the car seat itself, not in the headrest. That’s ok but not great because your child’s head is free to move around until it hits the side of the car seat to get this protection. That’s totally unacceptable for me. That would leave my child vulnerable to neck or head injuries and I’m not willing to take the chance with her life.Best Car Seat Review..
- Made In Italy. Rear facing infant car seat for babies 4 to 35 pounds and up to 32″ tall, includes a base with an integrated anti-rebound bar
- Dual stage cushion system-first stage for 4 pound and up offers extra support on baby’s neck and bottom, second stage correctly supports growing baby, both help to keep baby’s head properly positioned and are made of our fresco jersey breathable fabric
- Car seat dimensions: 25.9 x 17.0 x 23.9 inches and base dimensions: 21.6 x 14.6x 11.5 inches . Side impact protection adjusts to six different positions with no rethreading required, protecting baby’s head and shoulders at any growth stage
- Patent handle and seat design have color coded belt paths to help in belt routing if base is not in use, short compact handle makes it easy to move seat in and out of the car
- Innovative shell design optimizes baby’s safety and comfort, the well fitted upholstery features the best of Italian textile and tailoring tradition
Best Infant Car Seat For Travel
- Lightest premium infant car seat available
- Superior side impact performance with air protect technology
- Premium fabrics and padding for a comfy ride and flip-out visor on canopy for extra protection when needed
- Adapters to use mico as travel system included with compatible maxi-cosi and quinny strollers
- For children rear-facing from 5 to 22 pounds and up to 29 inches in height
- Lightest premium infant car seat available
- Superior side impact performance with air protect technology
- Premium fabrics and padding for a comfy ride and flip-out visor on canopy for extra protection when needed
- Adapters to use mico as travel system included with compatible maxi-cosi and quinny strollers; Adapters for many other premium strollers available from the stroller manufacturer
- For children rear-facing from 5-22 pounds and up to 29″ in height
Happy travels are ahead with the Maxi-Cosi Mico AP infant car seat.The Mico AP features Air Protect Advanced Side Impact Technology for a safer ride. The patented Air Protect cushion system protects around your baby’s head, where it’s needed most. The comfortable premium fabrics and padded 5-point harness covers keep baby secure and cozy during the ride, and the included Cozi Dozi head insert is true to its name and perfect for the extra support needed by infants. Each Mico AP also comes complete with a multi-position sun canopy with a flip out visor to help protect baby’s sensitive eyes from bright lights.The Mico AP infant car seat is designed to be both lightweight and comfortable to carry. Transferring from the stay-in-car base to a Maxi-Cosi or Quinny stroller is a breeze, making the Mico AP infant seat a great solution for parents looking for a complete travel system they can use from birth.
This car seat is amazing! Me and my son when he was 3 months old were in a terrible accident. We rolled in my vehicle over 4 times. Once we stopped rolling the car was upside down. I seriously thought my precious little boy was dead. He was not crying, he was not making any kind of noise. After somehow crawling out of my car with a broken leg and getting to the back with shattered glass everywhere I braced myself for what I would see. But there my little guy was just upside down looking around very curiously with not even a scratch on him. This car seat protected him and saved his life that day. The way it was designed made it so. This car seat is amazing and I would definitely recommend it! I am not an employee or a robot or any other phonie thing. I am a Mom. A Mom who will always thank the lord for that day.Best Car Seat Review..
Best Infant Car Seat In Budget
5.Best Car Seat 2021-Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Seat
- Surrounded in safety: A layer of side impact protection, steel frame, and impact absorbing base
- Easy installation: Use Safe Center LATCH or built-in seat belt lock-offs to secure the infant car seat
- Relax & Recline: Spring-assisted recline and indicators ensure the best vehicle installation angle
- Travel system ready: Compatible with Britax B-Agile, B-Free, B-Mobile, B-Ready Strollers using the built-in adapters and with all BOB Single and Duallie strollers (Adapter sold separately)
- Fits: Rear-facing 4-35 pounds, seat area 13” D, 8.75” W; Dimensions 17.75” W x 25” H x 26.5” D
The B-Safe 35 is your smart choice for an infant car seat from the #1 brand in safety technology. The B-Safe 35 keeps your baby safe and secure so that you can travel in total confidence.
The B-Safe 35 has Safe Cell Impact Protection, an innovative safety system found only in Britax car seats. Features include an impact-stabilizing steel frame for superior strength and an impact-absorbing base that compresses to absorb energy during a collision. This integrated system of safety components protects your child far beyond federal safety standards. The B-Safe 35 also has side impact protection and a contoured shell that minimizes your child’s side-to-side movement to maximize protection and the space-efficient design takes up less room in your vehicle.
The B-Safe 35 includes Britax-exclusive Safe Center LATCH Installation so you’re always certain the car seat is accurately installed. Safely secure the car seat in your vehicle with the center-pull straps and lower LATCH connectors. And just press a button to detach.
I love this car seat. I initially had a Baby Trend car seat and I switched to this one. This seat is WAY easier to take in and out of the car and maneuver the straps. I like the look of the seat and I’m happy with my purchase. It shipped very quickly, too!Best Car Seat Review..
Best Infant Car Seats Under 150
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing newborn car seat helps protect infants from 4 – 35 pounds; and up to 32″, making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
- These Graco infant car seats are rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US sa
- fety standards and reassure safety-conscious parents
- SafeSeat Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
The SnugRide Click Connect 35 infant car seat is designed to protect babies rear-facing from 4-35 lbs and features a comfortable seat to keep baby safe and cozy. SnugRide Click Connect 35 is equipped with Click Connect technology providing a one-step secure attachment to all Graco Click Connect strollers making it easy to create a travel system that best fits your lifestyle.. Machine-washable seat cushion, Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and water, Buckle may be cleaned with a damp cloth, Rear-Facing Only. Weight- 4-35 pounds Height- up to 32 inches Head must be more than 1 inches from the top of the headrest Infant car seats made 2011 or after have an expiration date of 7 years from manufactured date. STOP using this car seat and throw it away 7 years after the date of manufacture. Look for date of manufacture label on back of the car seat. Infant car seats made prior to 2011 have an expiration date 6 years from manufactured date.(General Warnings) The American Academy of Pediatricians (AAP) and National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommend that children ride rear-facing until the age of 2 or until they reach the maximum rear facing height or weight rating for their car seat. Always remember to check your local or state laws regarding car seat usage.
The SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat is an ultra-lightweight infant car seat. It’s part of Graco’s top line of infant car seats, and helps make it easy to transport your little one from home to the car and everywhere in between.
The Graco SnugRide 35 is a rear-facing car seat helps protect infants from 4 – 35 pounds and up to 32 inches, making it an excellent first car seat for baby. The SnugRide family of infant car seats is a top choice, both by moms and by leading consumer publications.
This rear facing infant car seat has comfort features, designed just for your new baby. It comes with a newborn head support, which offers soft cushioning and support for baby’s head. Then, as baby grows and needs more room, it’s removable. The infant car seat also comes complete with a rotating canopy. It provides sun protection and shade for your little one, so that baby can ride in comfort. Finally, this infant car seat has a ‘boot’ – or foot / leg cover – that helps create a cozy, comfortable ride for your little one
I love this car seat and the click-connect system! I am not very strong but am able to lift out baby and car seat in and out of the car and onto his stroller with ease. We have the jogger and love that too! The boot at the end of the car seat was worth the extra money if you are having a baby shortly before or during winter months. This held blankets down and generally kept our little guy warmer.
I do recommend purchasing a newborn insert. The one provided was not thick or supportive enough to keep our baby’s head from rocking back and forth quite a bit.Best Car Seat Review..
- SnugLock Technology features a hassle-free 3-step installation rear-facing car seat helps protect infants from 4 – 35 lb and up to 32″ quick and easy clean up with the Rapid Remove cover
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts headrest and harness together to prevent rethreading Safety Core absorbs frontal crash forces
- Adjustable base with 4 recline positions and easy-to-read bubble level indicator InRight LATCH system for a one-second LATCH attachment
- Rotating canopy with window and visor provides shade and sun protection for baby removable newborn head and body support cushions baby
- Check your local and state laws, as well as AAP and NHTSA recommendations, for car seat usage engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213.
CLICK. That’s the sound of a secure install. The SnugRide SnugLock 35 Elite Infant Car Seat has a hassle-free, worry-free installation for rear-facing infants using either vehicle seat belt or LATCH. In three easy steps you can feel confident you’ve got a secure install. To further make installation a breeze, the InRight LATCH provides a one-second connection and the base with its 4-position recline and easy-to-read level indictor helps eliminate installation guesswork. The Simply Safe Adjust Harness System lets you adjust the harness and headrest height together, so it’s as easy as it is safe. The Safety Core absorbs crash forces in the event of a frontal crash. Clean up is a breeze with the Rapid Remove seat cover. Click Connect technology provides a secure one-step attachment to all Graco Click Connect strollers making it easy to create a custom travel system that best fits your lifestyle. The SnugRide SnugLock 35 Elite helps protect rear-facing infants from 4 – 35 lb and up to 32″.
Love this seat. It fits tiny babies really snug, and the install is easy and gives you a sense of security. Usually my husband struggles to install the base, and I end up having to double check it’s in tight enough, but he did this one without any issues. My son was born at 5lbs 3oz, and it fit really snug. I did remove the shoulder strap pieces because they were kind of stiff and seemed to bother him, but it works perfectly without them. The straps tighten, and loosen very easily. I did notice with the infant insert part that the straps are a little tight to get baby out, so I loosen them when removing the baby, and tighten them once he’s back in the seat. The canopy is a little annoying, but I do like how low over the baby it goes so it keeps out a lot of the sun, and nosy people 😂.
Evenflo continues to redefine industry standards with ROLLOVER TESTED car seats. The LiteMax 35 Infant Car Seat is the easiest car seat to carry. It is designed with your lifestyle in mind. It’s extremely lightweight carrier and ergo handle, is uniquely designed for your maximum comfort as you carry your little one. The LiteMax 35 also comes with an easy to install base equipped with a two step vehicle belt lock-off for a quick and secure installation. LiteMax 35 also provides 4 recline options to optimize your child’s comfort on those long car rides.For almost a century we have been a leader in safety, innovation and education. At Evenflo, we continue to go above and beyond government standards to provide car seats that are 2X the Federal Crash Test Standard.
This seat was intended for Baby #4 — we have four kids spanning 6mo-11yo, our two vehicles, and spare seats for grandparents — so we’ve tested and tried a lot of car seats over the years! Right out of the box, I liked the sleek, gender-neutral “Bamboo” green design. The seat is pretty sturdy, and is actually pretty heavy on it’s own (16lbs — our previous seat was only 12lbs.) We often are on-the-go and take long car trips, so I was pleased with the “cushy” feel of this seat and the roll-over testing. With our previous infant carrier, my baby would fuss, in this one, she usually falls right asleep! It is heavier than our previous infant seat, but the handle is taller and more comfortable to grasp. The fabric is soft, and easily wipes clean, and looks like it will be simple to disassemble to put through the laundry. The removable headrest still works great for my 6mo. We don’t have Latch in either of our older cars, so I can’t comment on that feature, but we had no problem getting this seat in and positioned. The base has a nice feature of adjusting the height/tilt, which helped in our inclined seat. I had to re-thread the position of the straps, and that was really easy to do. There is a spot on either side for the buckles to slide in on to make it easier to find when you strap baby in; but it didn’t really work that well, it tends to slide out easily. The canopy is really sturdy and nice, and really protects/covers baby! Also — we had our doubts, but were surprised that my 2’10” 30lb toddler comfortably fit in this seat.Best Car Seat Review..
Give your baby a cozy ride with a favorite Disney friend in the Disney Baby Minnie Mouse Light ‘n Comfy 22 Luxe Infant Car Seat. Made to accommodate even a 4-pound tiny traveler, this rear-facing LATCH-equipped car seat provides a cozy ride. Extra-lightweight, this baby car seat is easy to carry. The five-point harness adjusts easily from the front of the car seat and features five heights and three buckle locations. Side-impact protection built into this infant car seat keeps your little one extra secure. A Minnie Mouse-shaped infant insert at the top of the car seat gives little travelers an extra snug fit. This car seat meets or exceeds federal and ASTM safety standards and includes a one-year limited warranty. Shopping for baby doesn’t have to be an ordinary task—it can be a joyful discovery that starts with Disney Baby and ends in your nursery, living room, and every place you interact with your little one. Disney Baby takes pride in helping families connect by offering apparel, gear, toys, play mats, bedding and other items that inspire every moment of the day.
- Made for infants from 4 to 22 pounds, this rear-facing Disney Baby LATCH-equipped car seat provides a cozy ride.
- Extra-lightweight, this Minnie Mouse baby car seat is easy to carry.
- The five-point harness adjusts easily from the front of the car seat and features five heights and three buckle locations.
- Built-in side-impact protection keeps your little one extra secure.
- A Minnie Mouse-shaped infant insert gives little travelers an extra snug fit.
- This car seat meets or exceeds federal and ASTM safety standards and includes a one-year limited warranty.
- Shopping for baby doesn’t have to be an ordinary task—it can be a joyful discovery that starts with Disney Baby and ends in your nursery, living room, and every place you interact with your little one. Disney Baby takes pride in helping families connect by offering apparel, gear, toys, play mats, bedding and other items that inspire every moment of the day.
I LOVE this baby girl car seat!!! My daughter is due in the next eight weeks and I can not wait to use it with her! This is my 6th child so I’ve purchased and used many infant car seats in the past, as I don’t like handing them down for safety reasons. I can honestly say I am most impressed with this one and all that it came with at such a good price!
The seat is very light and easy to carry which is perfect for a newly post partum mom who can’t life a ton! Especially when we have to lug around a diaper bag, baby blankets and numerous other things, a light weight car seat is a huge plus! The inside looks to be super comfortable, which of corse Is also very important. It latches into the base very easily and is easy to release out of the base with the latch behind the headrest as well.
Overall I am very impressed so far, although I have not had my baby yet so I will have to update my review when I actually use it with my baby in it.
So far it is absoloutely adorable and as a mom of five it looks to have everything it needs safety wise. I will update my review soon after my baby is born and we have used it a few times.Best Car Seat Review..
The Safety 1st Light ‘n Comfy Elite infant car seat helps you make every journey with your baby safer and more comfortable. This comfy baby car seat can be used from 4-22 pounds with a secure 5-point harness that adjusts from the front. With 4 harness heights, you can adjust the harness to the best fit for a tiny traveler just coming home for the first time, and then easily keep your baby snug in the seat as they grow. The extra-lightweight design of the seat makes it easier to remove from the base and carry while outside of the car. The Light ‘n Comfy Elite Infant Car Seat includes an infant insert that provides a snugger fit for small babies.
- PERFECT FOR THE 1ST DRIVE HOME – The Safety 1st Light ’n Comfy Elite Infant Car Seat has been carefully designed to keep your little one safe
- DESIGNED FOR NEWBORN BABIES – This car seat is the perfect fit for newborns and will keep them safe from 4 pounds up to 22 pounds in a rear-facing position.
- ENGINEERED TO KEEP YOUR BABY SAFE – Each Safety 1st Light ’n Comfy Elite Infant Car Seat has been precision-engineered with safety in mind and includes side impact protection built right in to the car seat.
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE HARNESS – Babies get a comfy and secure ride thanks to a 5-point safety harness with up-front adjustment that makes it easy to ensure they have a snug fit.
- PAIN-FREE INSTALLATION – The Safety 1st Light ’n Comfy Elite Car Seat is LATCH equipped for fast and easy installation. It also includes LATCH storage if you prefer to use the vehicle seat belts.
I bought this car seat for my daughter’s baby shower from their Amazon registry for their soon to come baby girl. Although we have not had a chance to use it yet as we are awaiting her arrival, I, my daughter and her husband love it! It feels sturdy, love the plush cover and the colors…so cute! What I also love about it is it comes in the box already in a very heavy zippered bag to store possibly for the next one once the baby has outgrown it. This will be my granddaughter’s ride home from the hospital. Perfect size for infants
11.Best Design:Cosco Light N Comfy DX Infant Car Seat
Travel easily with your baby in the Cosco Light ‘n Comfy LX Infant Car Seat, the lightest infant car seat in the USA. The Light ‘n Comfy keeps your child safe from 4-22 pounds with a secure 5-point harness that adjusts from the front and Side Impact Protection. With 4 harness heights, you can adjust the harness to the best fit for a tiny traveler and easily keep your baby snugly in the seat as they grow. The extra-lightweight design of the seat makes it easier to remove from the base and carry while outside of the car. The Light ‘n Comfy DX includes an infant insert that provides a snugger fit for small babies.Best Car Seat Review..
- Rear-facing 4-22 pounds and up to 29 inches
- Side Impact Protection
- 5-point harness with Center Front Adjustment
- Infant insert gives a snugger fit for smaller babies
- Latch equipped with convenient Latch storage
Very flexible system for getting around, from car to store and back to the house. Cute pattern for my little girl. Just a little disappointed with the complicated buckle. Little bit pinchy in the neck. Crotch buckle a strange system and difficult to close over baby rolls.
But overall, worth the price and easy to carry.
Works well for the price. You’ll miss some extra features, but if your on a budget or want an extra car seat this might work for you.
It locks in and two front anchors and is a lot easier to snap in. The base is secure, but not adjustable. You can buy the adjustable base which is available or you can just slip something under it (I use a folded towel). No real issues. Baby’s comfortable and I like that it’s light.
Specifically for infants – convenience for you and comfort for baby. The Evenflo Nurture Infant Car Seat provides comfort for your child and exclusive convenience for the ultimate value in child restraints. The Nurture Infant Car Seat features an ergonomically shaped handle for a more comfortable carry and a pivoting canopy, to shade your baby. This seat can be used rear-facing only for children weighing 5 – 22 pounds. This seat may be used with or without a base. Additional accessory bases available.
- Separate stay-in-the-car base allows for easy transfer from home to car via the ergonomic easy-to-carry handle; Also available separately
- 5-point harness with 3 shoulder harness and 2 crotch buckle positions for better fit and longer use
- Auto belt guides for use without a base if preferred
- Canopy shields baby from the elements. Top of child’s head is at least 1 in. below the top of the child restraint seat back and the car seat fits children with a height of 19-29 inches (48–74 cm)
- Energy absorbing foam liner provides added safety and comfort
I love the colors, it looks so very beautiful. And my daughter came early, 4 pounds 12 ounces when she left the hospital, & this seat accommodated her nicely after getting a little headrest pad to put in it-which I’d have needed no matter what. I love that I can leave the base in the car & not have to mess with the seat belt every time I put her in the car. For a single mom of 3, convenience is important. I have a 10 yr old, 3 yr old, & now my 9 day old…. so to just get the kids in the car in under 2 minutes is a big deal. I just slip her seat in, then run around and buckle my son in, & go! I love this seat. It was the cheapest I found, so I was nervous, but figured all I needed was to get her home from the hospital safely & then I could worry about replacing it if I needed–I ordered this when I went into mild labor & was sent home to wait & see if my baby would come early… and I’m keeping the seat. I love it & everyone asks where I got it & compliments it. They think I spent a small fortune & r all surprised when I show them the ad on amazon. U cannot go wrong with this seat. And I hope they don’t hike up the price, because being a woman in the process of divorce, the price was the reason for my purchase & now they r getting a great review! Lol. I truly love this seat.
How to find the best one for your family with a lot less anxiety: safety information, booster seat requirements, and more.Finding the best infant car seat means finding a balance of one that’s safe, easy to use, and the right size for your infant. It’s a tricky formula, but car seats are required by law, and you never know when those extra safety features will be put to the test.
Pros: They’re small, they have handles, and they usually come with a base that can be left in the car (for two-car families, you need two bases, not two seats), so you can get baby buckled in inside, and then just snap the seat into the base. Bonus: they allow you to bring a sleeping baby inside at the end of a trip without waking her!
Cons: They have a somewhat limited lifespan. The weight limit of infant seats ranges from 22 to 35 pounds, at which point you’ll have to buy a convertible or 3-in-1 (see below). Also: Once your baby starts to pack on some pounds, the handy handle becomes less useful because the seat + baby may become heavier than you want to lug around.
Pros: These seats can be used rear-facing and then flipped forward—which means you can use one seat for longer. They may also have higher weight limits for rear-facing as well, sometimes up to 40 pounds.
Cons: They’re bigger than infant seats, and you typically just use it in one car (they don’t have handles or bases). You may also need to use some padding or rolled towels to keep a very young infant properly positioned, says Dr. Durbin.
Pros: These babies can take your peanut straight through to her booster days. They can be used rear-facing, forward-facing and then converted into a belt-positioning booster.
Cons: These tend to be the biggest of the bunch, so if you’ve got a small car, fit might be an issue.
For kids who’ve reached the height and weight limits for rear-facing, look for a forward-facing seat with a five-point harness. (The AAP recommends using a harness at least until age 4.) In addition to convertibles and 3-in-1s, you may also choose:
Pros: These seats have weight ranges between 40 and 80 pounds (so you’ll be able to use it for a good stretch).
Cons: Toddler seats are single-purpose—so when it’s time for your child to move up to a belt-positioning booster, you’ll have to make another purchase.
Pros: You get a forward-facing seat with a harness (for kids 40 to 80 pounds) and a belt-positioning booster (for kids up to 100 pounds) in one.
Cons: Not much!
This is the last stop on the safety-seat train. Expect to use a belt-positioning booster, which raises your child up so the vehicle’s lap and shoulder belts fit properly, until he’s between 8 and 12 years old, and 4’ 9” tall. You’ve got two choices—high-back and backless. The one you choose really depends on your car: If you have low seat backs and/or no headrests, a high-back booster is essential; it will provide head protection in the event of a crash, says Dr. Durbin. Otherwise, a backless booster will do your child just fine. Both perform equally well, he says.
Other Features Worth Looking For
- Additional side-impact protection: The more side structure a seat has the better.
- Two-piece chest clip: These clips are more difficult for busy hands to unsnap; they tend to be sturdier, too.
- Rear-facing tether: There aren’t too many seats with this option, but a rear-facing tether can increase stability.
- Well-spaced harness slots: When you’re using a rear-facing seat, you’ll want to be sure the bottom slots are low on the seat back—if they’re too high, your child might not fit. Just the opposite is true for forward-facing; if the top slots are too low, your munchkin might outgrow the seat before he’s actually ready to move on to booster. The result? You’ve got to buy another seat!
Ratings, Recalls and More
Because you’re a diligent, smart parent, you’re going to do your research before you buy. The following sites are not to be missed:
Healthychildren.org: The consumer site of the American Academy of Pediatrics is packed car seat safety info.
NHTSA.gov: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has created an ease-of-use rating system for parents to use before purchasing a seat. “We want seats that are easy to use properly each and every time,” says Dr. Durbin, so this research is incredibly important and helpful.
IIHS.org: The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is one of the only sites that provides detailed safety info on specific booster seats. It also provides clear photos of what makes—and doesn’t make—for a proper fit. It’s a must-read!
SaferProducts.gov: You can check a manufacturer’s safety track record, research consumer reports of injury, and stay up to date on any recalls.
Types of infant car seats
You’ll find three different types of car seats widely available on the market: rear facing, convertible rear facing, and all-in-one newborn car seats.
Rear-Facing Baby Car Seat
A rear-facing car seat is designed specifically for infants and will only fit into your car in a rear-facing fashion. Most rear facing seats also double as a carrier.
Installation varies by model. Some can be strapped directly into the car, but others require a base that is also strapped into your car.
Convertible Rear-Facing Newborn Car Seat
Convertible rear facing car seats are seats that can be used from infancy until your child is ready to move to a booster seat. Use them as rear facing car seats for the first two years and then switch them around when they’re ready to sit facing forward. Buying a convertible car seat means you don’t need to buy a second car seat when your infant outgrows their rear facing seating.
Convertible seats vary from rear facing seats in that they don’t usually require a base and they aren’t portable. The seats are typically larger and strap directly into the car, making them more difficult to transition between vehicles.
A convertible seat will also be larger than a rear facing seat and may not be suitable for smaller infants.
3-in-1 Newborn Car Seat
An all-in-one or 3-in-1 seat adds another feature to the convertible seats by transforming into a booster seat.
Like convertible seats, an all-in-one is often bulky and remains in place in one car. It can be used as a rear facing seat and then a forward-facing seat.
Parents like these because if it fits, they can use it from infancy until the time their child is ready for a seat belt only.
Safety Features the Best Baby Car Seats Will Have
Finding the best car seat means looking for the one that includes all the essential safety features.
Here are a few of the must-have safety features in any car seat.
Load Leg Infant Car Seat
A load leg infant car seat includes a safety feature called a “load leg,” which works as a leg between the car seat and the floor of the vehicle. A load leg adds extra stability in the event of the crash by reducing energy transfer from the car seat to the infant. It also adds an extra measure of security by aiding in keeping the car seat in the car after a crash.
Anti-Rebound Bar (ARB)
An anti rebound bar (ARB) is found near the foot of the car seat and fits against the seat back. The bar prevents violent movements in a crash. It’s only found on rear facing infant car seats.
Linear Side Impact Protection
Linear side impact protection is a feature fitted on the back rest of the car seat. It protects the baby from side impact while also absorbing impact force in the event of a side-impact collision.
No Rethreaded Harness
A no-rethreaded harness is a feature that allows you to adjust the baby’s car seat harness without manually rerouting the straps.
A rigid latch is hard to find on U.S. car seats, but it’s a useful safety feature. With a rigid latch, the lower anchor connectors on the car seat aren’t place on a strap but instead are connected to the steel frame of the car seat.
Push Button Latch Connectors
Push button latch connectors seem like a convenience feature, but they’re also a safety feature. This feature allows you to push a button on the connectors to release the car seat, meaning it’s easier to remove the whole car seat both when transferring it and in the event of an emergency.
Seat Belt Lock Offs
Seat belt lock offs clamps or pinches the seat belt that locks your car seat into to hold the seat in place even in an emergency stop.
Latch Car Seat
Latch car seat systems come standard on all car seats manufactured after 2002. They connect the car seat to the vehicle’s seat itself and include tether anchors for the top of the seat.
- Best Convertible Car Seat 2021
- Best Baby Car Seat 2021
- Best Toddler Car Seat 2021
- Best Travel Car Seat 2020-2021
Last Updated January 13, 2021